Where is Baldy Butte?
Baldy Butte is just 1 hour and 40 minutes east of Issaquah. Follow I-90 east to Ellensburg, then south on WA-821 for about 20 minutes to the campground on the Yakima river at the foot of Baldy.
- From Issaquah, take I-90 East toward Spokane for 92 miles.
- At exit 110, take ramp right for US-97 South / I-82 East toward Yakima and go 3 miles.
- At exit 3, take ramp right and follow signs for WA-821 South and go .25 miles.
- Turn right onto WA-821 / Thrall Rd and go .5 miles.
- Turn left to stay on WA-821 / Canyon Rd and go 12 miles
- You'll see a large monument rock on the right side of the road.
- The camping field is just after the rock down by the trees and water. You'll see cars parked down on the grass by the river.
- Launch: N 46° 47.94’, W 120° 25.69’
- Main LZ: N 46° 49’, W 120° 27’
- Fly-in LZ: N 46° 48.92’, W 120° 27.12’
What is the cost?
This is a fund raising fly-in to support the site. $40 per pilot and $10 for non-pilots goes directly to help cover yearly site fees required to keep Baldy as a flying site. Additional donations are cheerfully accepted. J
OK, I’m in. What’s the plan?
Here are some notes and highlights…
- Register when you arrive.
- Several kegs from Iron Horse Brewery will be provided.
- Porta potties provided on site.
- We camp on a grassy private field under trees on the Yakima river. Bring a tent and camping gear. There is no water for drinking around the camping area / LZ. Bring your own water.
- Any other basic camping gear like a chairs and firewood for the various fires are great.
- Saturday Night: Potluck! Bring a main course or side to share.
- There is no water, shade, or outhouse on the launch. Bring your own supplies as appropriate
- If you have a large motor home, you might want to park in the BLM public campground by our private campground ($15/night, free after 9/15).
- It can be much cooler in the evening, especially during the fly-in weekend. Bring warm clothing and sleeping bag.
- The road to launch is gravel and can be rough. There's a locked gate at base of the private property. No Key is required during the fly-in. The keys are available for purchase.
- The closest stores and service stations in Ellensburg are about 20 min. away from the LZ.
- The nearest hospital in Ellensburg is Kittitas Valley Community Hospital (603 S Chestnut St, Ellensburg, WA 98926)
Still have questions?
Send an email to FlyBod@nwparagliding.com. We’d love to hear from you.